New to Samamkaya? Don’t know where to start? Don’t fret! We’re here to help!
Below are some Frequently Asked Questions. If you are still unsure where to begin, we are happy to answer any other questions you have at email@example.com or 646-964-5772.
Check out the New York Times article about Samamkaya: A Manhattan Yoga Studio for Bad Backs by Natalie Shutler
What class should I start with?
That all depends on you. We recommend that you start with our Back Care Basics or Yoga & Scoliosis Basics classes, or our Back Care Beginners Series. Details about these classes can be found below. If you have prior yoga experience or cannot make the Basics or Beginners classes, you might find that the regular classes are more to your liking. However, these classes do tend to move faster than the Basics classes or Beginners series, so we highly recommend starting with either of those.
Do I need to pre-register for class?
You must register at least 30 minutes in advance for online classes and 1 hour in advance for in-person classes.
What is the cost for class?
There will be a $5 fee for students with unlimited classes who sign up for class but do not attend class. As we do expect to reopen our doors in the future, we will keep all of your existing class cards on hold and ask, for the time being, that you work with our new online pricing structure. If these prices are inaccessible to you for any reason, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can discuss a discount on a case-by-case basis.
What do I need to bring?
For in-person person, you don’t need to bring anything! Just yourself and some clothes you can move in.
For online classes, we suggest having the following props on hand or alternatives:
- 3–4 blocks (can be cork or foam). (Alternatives: stacks of books, some table-top game boxes, small storage containers)
- 2 belts (one 6’ and one 10’ or 12’). Caution: most yoga belts sold online use D-ring closures. Please do not buy these, as they will not stay tight or secure when you use them. The correct, moveable bar type belts are available on our online store.
- 4–5 Mexican style blankets with no pattern in the weave. (Alternatives: large bath or beach towels, quilts or firm blankets that can be folded evenly)
- Sticky Mat
- Backless Yoga Chair. Tools for Yoga and Amazon sell folding chairs with the back already removed, but Amazon also sells a much cheaper folding chair with the back still attached, which you can remove with a hammer and metal file. (Alternatives: a regular chair, stool, or coffee table)
- You might also like to use bed pillows, couch pillows or cushions in place of bolsters.
Did we miss something? We’re happy to answer any other questions you have at email@example.com or 646-964-5772