As we continue to navigate the shutdown of our physical studio, we will be holding live, interactive classes via Zoom.us, a free video conferencing application available on your computer, tablet, or phone. Zoom is very user friendly, but please familiarize yourself with the program before your first class if you have any questions. We have packed a lot of information onto this page, so please take the time to read it thoroughly, and reach out to us with any questions.
We will be offering 2–4 classes a day for general Back Care, general Yoga & Scoliosis, Intermediate Yoga & Scoliosis, & Spinal Fusions & Scoliosis. We’ve attempted to make the schedule as similar to our in-studio schedule as possible. Each class will last for one hour and fifteen minutes. The format will be simplified using fewer props and may also incorporate common household areas and furniture. Classes will be given in real-time, and you will be able to communicate with your teacher. Your teacher will also be able to see you and offer feedback. This platform gives us the opportunity to connect with each other while we are not able to be together, and also work on your physical and mental well-being. This moment has also created the opportunity for some of our teachers who have not been on our regular schedule recently to teach virtual classes!
To sign-up for a class, please visit our Scheduling Site.
- Select the class that you would like to attend and click “Sign up”.
- Enter your name, phone number, and email, then scroll down and click “I have read and agree to the terms above”
- If you are paying for an individual class, click “Pay Now,” enter your credit card information on the next screen, and click “Pay & Confirm”
- If you have an unlimited card, click “Redeem Coupon or Package,” enter your email, and click “Confirm Appointment”
- That will make class free
- Click “Complete Appointment”
- The confirmation page will pop up and you’ll also receive an email containing the Zoom link for class. If you’ve signed up more than 24 hours in advance, you’ll also receive a reminder email 24 hours before the class start time.
- Students MUST pre-register for class AT LEAST 30 minutes in advance.
- Cancellations must be made more than 24 hours in advance, and can be done online by clicking “Change/Cancel Appointment” in the confirmation email you receive.
- If only one student is signed up for a class, the class will be canceled and that student will be notified and refunded.
- The teacher will begin the class on Zoom 15–20 minutes before the class start time. You will find the link to the class in your confirmation email
Our online offerings are priced as follows:
Single Class: $25 (Members: $23)
5 Class Card: $115 (Members: $95) (6 week expiration)
10 Class Card: $200 (Members: $175) (8 week expiration)
Auto-renew Weekly Unlimited: $60 (Members: $55)
Auto-renew Monthly Unlimited: $200 (Members: $175) no change
One-time Weekly Unlimited: $70 (Members: $65)
One-time Monthly Unlimited: $225 (Members: $200)
There will be a $5 fee for students with unlimited classes who sign up for class but do not attend class. As we do expect to reopen our doors in the future, we will keep all of your existing class cards on hold and ask, for the time being, that you work with our new online pricing structure. If these prices are inaccessible to you for any reason, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can discuss a discount on a case-by-case basis.
We have regular, long, and short belts for sale! You can purchase them here.
We understand that some of you may not have all of the props you will need. We will be using minimal props, but we recommend that you buy the following props to make your home practice as beneficial as it can be. Information on where to purchase your props can be found on Deborah Wolk’s website. We’ve also listed alternatives here in case you do not yet have them.
- 3–4 blocks (can be cork or foam). (Alternatives: stacks of books, some table-top game boxes, small storage containers)
- 2 belts (one 6’ and one 10’ or 12’). Caution: most yoga belts sold online use D-ring closures. Please do not buy these, as they will not stay tight or secure when you use them. The correct, moveable bar type belts are available via instructions on Deborah’s website. (Alternatives: a regular pant’s belt, hand towel, exercise rubber band)
- 4–5 Mexican style blankets with no pattern in the weave. (Alternatives: large bath or beach towels, quilts or firm blankets that can be folded evenly)
- Sticky Mat
- Backless Yoga Chair. Tools for Yoga and Amazon sell folding chairs with the back already removed, but Amazon also sells a much cheaper folding chair with the back still attached, which you can remove with a hammer and metal file. (Alternatives: a regular chair, stool, or coffee table)
- You might also like to use bed pillows, couch pillows or cushions in place of bolsters.
Tips for Online Classes
Here are some tips for making your online class experience the best it can be!
- Have your computer, tablet, or phone placed 8–10 feet away from you at waist level or higher, so that we can see as much of your body as possible. We know space is tight in NYC apartments, so do your best.
- Your sticky mat should be up against a wall.
- Wear clothes that are a contrasting color to your walls, though as always we do not recommend wearing black.
- If your space is quiet, we welcome you to keep your mic unmuted. If there is a lot of background noise, however, it would be best if you mute your mic unless you have a question, to make it easier for everyone to hear the teacher.
- If you have them, wear ear buds so that you can hear the teacher and the teacher can hear you! This also cuts down on background noise.
Other Online Offerings
In addition to these virtual classes, we are also working to create downloadable classes on various topics that you can use whenever you please. We hope to have these available in the next couple of weeks. Finally, we are also working on presenting longer, workshop-style virtual classes, both with our faculty and with some of the workshop presenters who will not be able to teach in-person as planned. More on these to follow.
Thank you for your ongoing support and loyalty. We hope that we can continue to help you manage your pain and stress as we all learn to adapt to the changing times.
Wishing you peace and health,
The Samamkaya Family